Frequently Asked Questions

Please look at the responses to the questions below for more information about the

St Bridget's CofE Primary School Offer.


Question Response
How will I know if my child needs extra help?
  • The child's class teacher will make you aware of the progress your child is making. They will discuss with you any areas where extra support is needed.
What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?
  • Your first port of call is to the class teacher who will meet with you to listen to your concerns. 
  • If deemed appropriate the concerns will be passed on to the SENCo who will take appropriate action.
How will staff support my child?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.
For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff)  are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.


Specific group work within a smaller group of children. 
This group, often called Intervention Groups, may be

 - Run in the classroom or outside.
 - Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups.


Local Authority central services such as the ASC Outreach Team or 
Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
  • -Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
  • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group
  • A group or individual work with an outside professional

The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention 


Specified Individual support for your child of more than 20 hours in school.

  • This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASC Outreach Team or Sensory Service ( for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support they can offer without the additional funding. 
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC Plan.
  • The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

 -Severe, complex and lifelong
 - Need more than 20 hours of support in school

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's needs?
  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.
How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child's learning?
  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
What support will there be for my child's overall well being?
  • The views of the children are always listened to and taken seriously.
  • As a school we have a 'Medical' policy which enables us to support children with varying medical needs.
  • Our school Behaviour Policy is structured around positive reinforcement with a number of initiatives included in order to celebrate success. 
  • We are able to run inteventions focussing around well being and social needs of children, where deemed appropriate. 
What training have the staff supporting my child with SEND had or are having? 
  • Our staff are well trained in dealing with a huge range of SEND.
  • The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as ASD and Speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class.
How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?
  • We will endeavour to allow all children to access activities around the classroom including PE.
  • We always try to choose school trip venues carefully so that all children can access the experience. 
  • When needed we work closely with parents, so that support and help can be provided to allow the best access possible for your child. 
How accessible is your school environment?
  • The building is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps. 
  • Additionally the school is equipped with lifts giving access to each level.
  • The school is equipped with a disabled toilet and shower access. 
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
How will you prepare and support my child to join your school or transfer to a new school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving child to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. 
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.

In Year 6:

  • The class teacher/SENCo will attend transition meetings to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?
  • The school budget, received from Wirral LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including

-the children getting extra support already

-the children needing extra support

- the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected

And decide what resources/training and support is needed.

  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.
Can staff get extra help from experts outside if they need to?

The school is able to access a range of different help from a variety of agencies including - 

- School Nurse

- ASC Team

- Educational Psychologists

- Behaviour advisors

- Speech and Language Support


How will information about my child be circulated to all memebrs of staff and who will be responsible for that?
  • The class teacher/SENCo will share all relevant information with the staff that need to know, this will be handled in a professional and confidential manner.
  • Copies of external advice, IEP's and any other documentation will be stored centrally by the SENCo with copies given to the relevant staff members. 
Who can I contact for further information?
  • The class teacher is always the first port of call as they know your child best within school.
  • The school SENCo can be contacted if any further information or advice is needed.